Twins Always Take Care of Each Other!

Friday, August 2, 2013

Pod Down! Pod Down!

Well, we have been MOST pleased with our decision to switch to the Omnipod. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

For the most part we have gotten a full 3 days out of her sites (so far)... knock on wood!

She is not tethered to a separate device to carry around her waist.

She can decorate her pods (which in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal - agreed. But a big deal to a 7-year-old who wants to find the silver lining and I am all for it!)

If something goes wrong with the pod, I am not worried about a $6500 piece of medical equipment to replace. We can just replace the pod. 

Speaking of which...

We had some family join us at shore the other day and the girls were so excited to enjoy the rides with relatives. They ran around, played, shopped, ate, and had fun! Great time! And then it happened... doesn't it always seem to happen at the most inopportune times? (like as if there is a "good time?" but it does just always seem to happen at the worst times, doesn't it?!) There we are about to enjoy some Kohr Brothers frozen custard and the blood glucose numbers start climbing. Hmmmm. Well, I think, maybe no big deal. Let's throw some insulin on top of that. And encourage her to finish up "because of course you have been bolused for that!" WOOOWWW! Wrong call this time! I mean, sometimes it is a 50/50 guess and you gotta be wrong sometimes, right?!

Now, let me preface this picture by saying I took this the next morning. I was far too stressed and tired to take it that night.
But, good heavens! Look at the upward slope on that thing! We had reached a point in the frozen custard where I all but snatched it out of her hands and said, "maybe it is OK if you don't finish this." And the number keeps climbing and climbing! And yes, I had replacement pods and insulin with me but we were at the boardwalk, YUCK! Not really the most sanitary environment for site changes. So, we decided to very quickly say our goodnights and walk (run) back to the car and drive back to the campground. 

It is normally about a 10 minute drive. That is, unless you are in a hurry. Unless you get behind the ONE person on EARTH that feels like driving slower than molasses when you need to get somewhere in a hurry! I mean by this point I am about ready to crawl out of my skin because she is in the back seat starting to complain about her belly hurting and being "thirsty to death." UGH! I mean, just AAAGGGHHH!!!! Mama bear was about ready to display some serious road rage if these "Sunday drivers" didn't get out of my way! (I mean, not really, but you know what I mean! LOL!)

And so, we finally make it back to the campground and we get her sufficiently cleaned up and do an "emergency" pod change. And WHEW - this Dexcom (continuous blood glucose monitor) might as well be a blood pressure monitor for me. As that graph quickly came back to normal range, so did I. 

Luckily the "Diabetes Gods" allowed us all to sleep that night as well, as we certainly needed it! 

When I saw that number so quickly and dramatically rising, I just didn't know where it would stop. I was worried. But didn't want to alarm the kids by showing how worried I really was... try to pull that one off! They knew I was concerned but they certainly didn't know how concerned I was. Yes, we would get back and be able to change the site and start infusing insulin again. But when that is your child and she is feeling so poorly and it is YOUR job to fix it (and even if it wasn't your job - meaning that they are grown and it is now their responsibility to care for their diabetes) there is quite a pressure we put on ourselves. Managing type 1 diabetes is hard. But we are up to the challenge. We have good days - and we have great days. We have some bad days too. No one is perfect. Not a single person living with T1D. We all try to do our best. 

Our lesson learned on this one? When going to the boardwalk to go on rides, wear the arm band so the pod doesn't pull loose...